Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rollup Pancakes (my family's crepes)

First you'll have to forgive the fuzzy darkness of these photos. It was early and I really couldn't tell how bad it was at the time.



When we were kids, my mom would make rollup pancakes, and we would eat them faster then she could cook 'em up. They were only for special occasions like our birthday or a holiday. So I wanted to share this special treat with my boys. Only I didn't let them have butter and granulated sugar like we had. They had to have raspberry jam and powdered sugar. (That's healthier, right?) They were so yummy!





Hopefully my food photography gets better so you guys believe me about how good they are.



Here's my secret. I make them in the blender. So easy, just throw it all in and blend until smooth. When its all mixed up it makes pouring on the griddle a breeze.


Dump in 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon sugar.



1/2 teaspoon baking powder & 1/2 teaspoon salt



2 cups milk (By the way, my cooking teacher said never to use this kind of measuring cup for liquids. So please don't follow in my bad behavior.)
2 tablespoons melted butter

2 eggs



And blend until its smooth.


Butter the griddle



Pour a small pancake size amount


Here's what makes them officially not crepes. I use the back of the spoon in a circular motion to spread the batter thin and even. Truely talented French chefs use a skillet and rotate to even coat the pan. I cannot do that, but I don't care because this totally works just as good.


The skillet needs to be medium. Too hot and they will cook to fast to spread, and may be crispy. Too low and they'll stick. Let them cook for 1 min or so on one side and loosen the sides and move towards the center to avoid tearing. But don't be discouraged I had a small pile of do-overs.



Flip and cook for 30 sec to one minute. You'll start to get the hang of it once you do a few.


Now you can put just about anything in these. Jam, powdered, sugar, lemon juice, pudding, chocolate, cream cheese...the possibilities are endless...and YUMMY!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh.... I feel a craving coming on. How did the glaze turn out for the rolls you made the other day?

    ReplyDelete